Table of Contents
Makeup sponges are the most vital tool in your cosmetic bag and you should clean them after each usage.
Most people are unaware that if these tools are not properly cleaned, they might harbor germs and other bacteria, which can cause breakouts.
Furthermore, the appropriate sponge will help you to apply the perfect quantity of makeup while also ensuring that it is applied evenly and flawlessly.
What Is Makeup Sponge Or Beautyblender?
It is a non-latex, flat, porous foam applicator used to apply makeups.
Although they have been used for almost as long as cosmetics, the substance itself has modified over time.
Nowadays, the vast majority of cosmetic sponges are made of synthetic materials like polyurethane and polyester, and they’ve become a mainstay in many of our makeup bags.
Quick Steps On How To Clean Makeup Sponge
Below are quick and easy steps on how to clean your sponges:
1. How To Clean A Beauty-blender By Soaking It In Soap And Water
This step is straightforward.
- If you have a persistent stain, submerge your blender in a bowl of water then soak it in your liquid cleanser for a few hours.
- Then massage with the soap liquid cleanser before placing it in a basin of water.
- Make sure there’s enough water to completely submerge the sponge for the most splendid results.
- Allow two to three hours for it to rest.
- Once it’s time, remove your Beautyblender, rinse and twist it under running water.
2. Cleaning A Beauty-blender In The Microwave
With this method, any bacteria that may be growing on the sponge will most likely be killed by microwave energy.
- Take a small cup, fill it halfway with water, then sprinkle dish-washing soap or mild shampoo.
- Place the sponge in the water and press down to fully immerse it.
- Microwave the cup for around 1 minute with the sponge remaining inside.
- Allow 30 seconds for your makeup sponge to cool before removing it.
- When the water has cooled, rinse and wring the sponge under running water before setting it aside to dry.
This cycle will have eliminated any microorganisms and thoroughly cleansed your beauty blender.
3. Cleaning In The Washing machine
I love this method because I have plenty of beauty blenders and makeup sponges.
- Gather all of your sponges and place them in a net lingerie bag.
- Before running the washing machine on mild with an extra rinse cycle, add a mixture of Beautyblender liquid cleanser and laundry detergent.
- Once the cycle is complete, remove them from the washer and place them in a bag to air dry.
4. How to Use a Silicone Cleaning Pad to Clean Makeup Sponge
These silicone pads include little indents, and spikes that help you completely use the sponge.
Apply soap and water, then grab your sponge and move it around in circular motions, making sure to work on all sides.
You must exercise caution since they have the potential to rip the fragile surface of the sponge.
They’re especially useful for brushes since they let you get in between the bristles.
5. Dishwashing Detergent And Olive Oil
If you’re looking for an antimicrobial, antibacterial, and antiviral approach to clean your makeup sponge that also serves as a quick and easy solution for keeping your cosmetic tools clean, this olive oil and dishwashing soap method is a fantastic choice.
- First, warm water, oil, and baby shampoo or dishwashing detergent should all be combined.
- Dip the sponge into the mixture, then rinse it under a hot tap to remove any excess product.
- Squeeze the makeup sponge three times and rinse it with a facial cleanser to remove all of the oil.
This will aid in the removal of any remaining debris within the tool
6. Cosmetic Brush Cleaner Or A Cleaning Solution
Although makeup sponges and brushes are constructed of different materials, brush cleansers or cleaning solutions are extremely effective at cleaning them.
- Use an all-natural, cruelty-free, hypoallergenic brush cleaning that also functions as a cleanser and conditioner.
- Simply dampen your beauty blender with warm water and massage the solution into the sponge, paying careful attention to the most visibly makeup-stained areas to ensure plenty of bubbles.
- After that, rinse with lukewarm water.
- Allow the sponge to dry with a clean cloth.
7. With Your Facial Cleanser, Clean The Sponge.
- Damp your sponge, then apply some Face Cleanser, such as Cerave Smoothing Cleanser With Salicylic Acid, massage it in, and rinse completely.
- Repeat the rinse process several times until completely free from the cleanser.
This cleanser has a pretty mild skin recipe, so it was probably gentle on the sponge, and it has three vital ceramides to protect the face’s natural barrier.
Don’t Forget To Dry.
Allow it to dry thoroughly in a spot with excellent air circulation to avoid something much more unpleasant, such as mold.
Remember never to store your Beautyblender in a closed, zipped-up makeup bag since moisture encourages the growth of bacteria.
If your Beautyblender is moist and unclean, set it aside to dry.
How Frequently Should My Sponges Be Cleaned?
In an ideal world, you’d wash all of your makeup equipment every day, but that’s not practical.
Instead, keep your Beautyblender clean weekly.
However, you can use baby wipes to do a quick clean, which will keep your foundation from soiling your cosmetic bag and other items.
Some Selection Of Favorite Soaps/Cleaning Products.
There are a few actions you can do to ensure your sponge and face remain clean and bacteria-free if you want to maintain your sponge looking and feeling fresh.
These simple procedures should help keep you healthy while extending the life of your sponge.
We’d love to get your reviews on how it works out for you!
When is it time to toss my beauty sponge?
If your makeup sponge has stubborn stains that won’t come out with washing, is ripped, or is dissolving, throw it out.
What is the lifespan of a beauty blender?
A cosmetic sponge will last 3 to 6 months depending on how well you care for it and how good the quality is.
Is it possible to re-use a beauty blender?
Cosmetic sponges are reusable, but they should be washed on a routine basis.
This article contains some affiliate links, which means that adorablemakeover.com may receive a small commission if you click to make a purchase.